Student Visa & Residence Permit


Foreign students should secure a Student Visa prior to their trip to Turkey from the nearest Turkish Embassy or Consulate in their country.

For education visas, students are required to submit documents such as:

  • A letter of acceptance given by the university in Turkey,
  • Original passport valid for at least one year,
  • A completed visa application form,
  • Recent passport-size pictures
  • A non-refundable processing fee for the Turkish Consulate.

Incoming students are advised to apply for the visa at least two months prior to the date of departure. However, some of the European country citizens can come to Turkey with e-visa, you can find the list below ;

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • The Netherlands
  • UK
  • Ireland
  • Spain
  • Poland
  • Portugal


Newly admitted international students (who are not Turkish citizens), after registration to IMU, should apply for a residence permit if their period of study in Turkey will be longer than 90 days. Applications for residence permit are made through the Migration Office website at Here you fill in an application form and choose the date of your appointment. Please watch the videos by the Migration Office for information before applying.

International students who fail to obtain a residence permit are obliged to pay fines and even their entry to Turkey can be banned.

Required Documents:

  1. Online application form (taken from
  2. 4 biometric photos (taken in last 6 months with a white background)
  3. A valid passport and copy (the page where the ID information is and treated pages should be copied)
  4. Declaration of sufficient financial resources during education (Must be declared during online application. Students whose expenses are paid by a governmental authority should state this issue to the migration management. The governmental authority could ask for some supporting documents)
  5. Deed of consent (for those who are younger than 18)
  6. Health insurance (Insurance period should cover the residence permit period. You can apply for General Health Insurance conducted by the Social Security Institution or you can have a private health insurance)
  7. Additional possible documents

Ministry of Interior Directorate General of Migration Management Communication Centre for Foreigners

  • For the questions and concerns of foreigners about entry into, stay in, exit from Turkey, residence permit card delivery.
  • To receive information about staying in Turkey with different residence status
  • For emergency requests throughout Turkey you may call 157, from abroad +90 312 157 11 22 Turkish, English, Arabic, Russian, Persian and German. 7 days 24 hours

The Address of İçişleri Bakanlığı Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü / Directorate General of Migration Management:

İstanbul İl Goç İdaresi Müdürlüğü, Hirka - İ Şerif Mahallesi, Vatan Caddesi No: 64/34091, Fatih/İstanbul